Friday, September 5, 2008

This Little Light of Mine (Hurricane Gustav Blog)

Friday morning the light of my cell phone served as my beacon. After spending a week sleeping at my place of employment a coworker drove me home to confirm my suspicions, Hurricane Gustav knocked my power out. Frustrated with spending nights curled up in ball on a hard floor amidst endless hustle and bustle, I decided to sleep at home anyway.

I took a cold shower (electric water heater) praising God for running water, cleaned up a little, and lie down to rest with no plan of how to get back to work in the morning. I woke up and called a coworker who graciously agreed to pick me up.

Now as you may imagine, the power on my entire block (and several neighboring blocks) is out, which means no street lights. So I stood outside waiting for my chariot. I noticed a truck driving down the street slowly, as though it were lost, so I said t myself, "Maybe that's Andrea." I immediately called her on my cell phone and asked if she was driving a truck. It was her! So I held up my cell phone and waved it to signal her, and she saw me. I didn't even tell her I was waving my cell phone, she instinctively followed the light! This excited me immensely! It reminded me of the song we all know and love, "This little light of mine".

Take a minute to hum it. The song says, "this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...every where I go, I'm gonna let it shine. In my neighborhood, I'm gonna let it shine."

What if I decided to stand there and panic, or jump up and down? She would have never found me. Scripture says in Matthew 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." We all have a light. Light can also become ineffective. How? By being hidden and light is meant to be seen so that we can see.The purpose of lighting a lamp was so everyone could see.Hiding your light defeats the purpose of light.Therefore, you would be abusing light! Back in the day cities were usually built on top of hills and could be seen for miles there's no way to hide a city on a hill (unless you destroy it). I don't want my light destroyed nor do I want my light abused so when I see someone lost or in distress I plan to wave my little light light crazy to point them in the right direction!


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

--Marianne Williamson--

No comments: