Saturday, September 6, 2008

Be Careful What You Ask For (Hurricane Gustav Blog)

My power is out and I'm actually a little excited (I'm on a little out of town hiatus for my family reunion). Last month, my light bill was so high. And I was upset, because I am rarely home. I ride the bus and have 2 jobs. Clearly my water heater and fridge use a lot of electricity, or Brother Man (from Martin) comes through my window when I'm not home and uses my electricity and cable…I had to laugh; I said to God, "You have a funny way of answering prayers." My light bill may be none existent next month! Praise the Lord from whom all blessings flow. This thought reminded me of that old saying, "be careful what you ask from, because you just might get it." Before you think you know what I mean read on…That saying made me think about Matthew 7-11.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

Whenever people tell me to be careful what I ask for, I always say that God knows my heart. I know God knows when I am frustrated and He knows what I really mean no matter what I say. More importantly I know God knows and has what's best for me. Matthew reminds me that if I ask my mom for bread or meat, she gives it to me! She doesn't give me something that will hurt me and my mom is imperfect! My mom is a human who misses the mark occasionally. If even my imperfect mother knows how to give good gifts to her child, oh hallelujah, how much more does my perfect God have in store for me? Some of you may be frustrated because something or someone took something away from you; you may even be upset because you THINK someone is withholding something that was rightfully yours (shoot I am, just to be honest. Those of you who talk to me regularly know my issues, please continue praying for me in those matters), but just remember that God knows how to give good gifts and if you ask for something he won't try to trick or hurt you.

No comments: