Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ups & Downs: The Great Adventure

I usually serve with the Kidslife team in Level 56 on Saturdays, but tonight I served with the Lakewood P layers (Drama Ministry) to help the 1st-4th graders learn about love. I did however get the notes for this weekend and decided to do a devotional about what this particular topic means to me. The Level 56 Summer Break Focus Topic has been "Ups & Downs: God's Faithfulness. This weekend we are focusing on the "The Great Adventure" and I'm sure Jonathan did an amazing job teaching this message to the kids! The large bolded italicized text is part of the message that was shared.  The scriptures that I share below ARE NOT NECESSARILY the scriptures the kids heard at service; this is my personal devotional on the topic! 

God has a great big plan for all of us. He has the most amazing adventure already planned out for us! All we have to do is get ready, trust him and and go on this adventure.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

When we plan to do something EVERYTHING in the plan is included to lead us to that desired destination even the things that we see as insignificant. Like David; his work as a shepherd prepared him to defeat Goliath.

1 Samuel 17:34-37But David said to Saul, “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.” Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you.”
In this story, I see Saul as Carl and David as Ellie: some people see the vision and some people don't. David didn't get an attitude, he just explained his case like the next video. David was more than ready to go on a BIG adventure.

The couple in this video was more than ready to go on a BIG adventure.




Point #1


Don't be afraid to dream BIG! 

Now, let's take a look at Carl after he has lost all of his dreams. 


Point #2


God always has good things in store for us.

Level 56 is the Lakewood Church exciting, high impact service designed exclusively for 5th and 6th graders. Tweens discover an exciting new world where they can hang out with friends, enjoy games and fun activities and learn leadership and social skills through biblical principles that will prepare them for the future.


Matthew 19:26 ...with God all things are possible.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  
Ephesians 3:20 [God] is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us

God created the entire universe; the things I want are nowhere close to the universe. Thinking about God as the awesome creator and that he is empowers me to dream big. If he can speak the sun into existence then my dreams are no match for God. I just have to believe.

Sometimes things don't happen the way we think that they should but our ways are not God's ways.

Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”  declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Sometimes the people who we thought would share in a dream leave but it doesn't mean that God won't give me the desires of my heart. Furthermore, even though certain people didn't make it to our dream physically they still helped us get there and we should honor their memory without letting their memory impede our future.



Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

2 corinthians 2:9 However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived” [are] the things God has prepared for those who love him.

It's hard to lose sight of the fact that God has good things in store for us but we have to always remember that he does. I think Psalm 27 is a good representation of this fact. I'm sorry that I missed serving with the Level 56 team this week but I know the kids will be blessed by this message and I hope that you were too.

Psalm 27


No comments: